Friday, October 7, 2016

September Wrap-Up!



I read more books that I review on here, and I wanted to see a list of what I've read month-by-month. I think this will be a great source of motivation! Links below to all reviews regardless of where they are.

I've also sorted them into categories. Since I am working on a few reading challenges I wanted to be able to look back and see how many I've read for each one.

Non-Fiction

Worst. President. Ever.: James Buchanan, the POTUS Rating Game, and the Legacy of the Least of the Lesser Presidents
Strauss, Robert
I really liked this biography of poor James Buchanan. He really was a quite bad president, and this book did a great job making the case for his ranking.

On the Parole Board: Reflections on Crime, Punishment, Redemption, and Justice
Reamer, Frederic G
This was my favorite book of the month, hands down. It made me think in new ways and opened me up to another world I haven't spent any real time considering. That's something only the best books can do.

Great Eulogies Throughout History
Daley, James
Probably my least favorite book from this month. It was nothing more than a collection of eulogies, and I suppose I was looking for something a bit more in depth. But if that's all you're looking for, this was a good, if American-centered, collection.

Colonial Spirits: A Toast to Our Drunken History
Grasse, Steven
Like above, I was looking for something a bit more detailed, but this book was very well put together and obviously well researching. The author clearly loves this subject and it really comes through.

The Obama White House and the Supreme Court
Toobin, Jeffrey
Just a short, and at the time of reading my takeaway was the panic surrounding Obama's first swearing in. However, the lasting impression I have is regarding his stance on the traditional interpretation of the Constitution, and those implications. Thought-provoking.

Insider Baseball
Didion, Joan
The game of politics is one that has the ability to thoroughly dishearten me, and this short did just that. Worth a read, but it's so heartbreaking. 

The Constitution of the United States of America Modern Edition: Rearranged and Edited for Ease of Reading
Bain, Henry
Read this through Netgalley, but bought it right after so I could have a copy to reference. Wonderful edit of the Constitution for modern times.

Project: Clean Off My Kindle

Wherein I attempt to clean off the hundreds of random books on my Kindle. Some so old I have completely changed my reading preferences in the meantime.

Fake It (Rule Breakers, #2)
Chance, Jennifer
Not a fan of this one. I couldn't relate to either lead for some reason, and as a result just didn't care what happened to them at the end. The ending was rushed and unbelievable too. Not for me.

Broken (Redemption, #1)
Layne, Lauren
Quite liked this which doesn't surprise me because I also liked the "first" book in the series which was a modern Pygmalion tale. I normally don't like books with military protags, but it worked for me here.

Crushed (Redemption, #2)
Layne, Lauren
As the last book in the series, I thought this one did a great job tying everything back together. And poor Michael finally got his happy ending. If I could describe this series in a phrase: Rich kids get HEA's. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

Challange: Read ALL the Series

Wherein I attempt to catch-up/finish all of my in-progress series that have been left hanging. Some for years.

Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror, #8)
Halle, Karina
Ah, the impetus for starting this challenge in the first place! Pretty typical book for the series, with Halle's style and writing unchanged from previous installments. Horror elements, check! Dex and Perry moving forward, check! Weird or possibly no resolution, check!

Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9)
Halle, Karina
And the final book in the series... Was a bit of a jumbled mess. I think Halle was trying to tie everything up in a neat bow but it just ended up being sad and confusing. Which I suppose was fitting considering I think that describes the series as whole. Completely worth finishing!

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
McGuire, Seanan
One of my favorite urban fantasy heroines, and really I only like one other one: Kate Daniels. I began reading the 4th book in this series thinking I'd just pick up there, but quickly realized that I had forgotten a lot of essential lore since I first read it in 2012. So I decided to start back at the beginning. No regrets! 

Graphic Novels

Manga Classics: Sense and Sensibility
King, Stacy
I've read two other books in this series, and they all do a fantastic job of adapting these harder-to-read novels into more accessible comics. Since I'm very familiar with the source material here, I loved that I could experience S&S in an afternoon instead of the several days it would take to read the book. Wonderful!

Manga Classics: Jane Eyre
King, Stacy
I can't stand Jane Eyre, and this manga just confirmed that dislike for me. I feel like every few years I have to revisit my dislike just to make sure it's still there. I mean, this is a classic, I'm supposed to like it. But no, Gothic emo can go hang. However! This is a perfect adaptation, so I would HIGHLY recommend reading this version which took me only an hour to read as opposed to that crazy long novel. Much better use of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment