Friday, September 16, 2016

The National Book Award Long List 2016

The National Book Award Long List 2016
I've never been one for awards lists, especially regarding books. They always somehow manage to find the most esoteric publications of the year, the more obscure the better. When the (case in point) Man Booker prize announced their shortlist earlier this week, it left me wanting a list of non-fic recommendations. Books so good, they were being considered for an award.

 There's nothing quite like trying to watch all of the Academy Award Best Picture Winners, and the same I believe holds true for book awards. The National Book Award's are not a list I am familiar with, but I'm more than willing to give it a go. I'm not going to be able/interested in everything on their list, but I would like to read a few before the winners are chosen. The shortlist is to be announced 10.13, with the winners announcement on 11.16There are also categories for Fiction, Poetry and YA.

Below are the Non-Fiction nominations for their long list.
 Wow, there are a lot more books here that I am interested in than I expected there to be... My shortlist for reading selections is below. We'll see how many I can finish before the winners announcements!
  1. Adam CohenImbeciles: The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck
  2. Andrés Reséndez, The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America 
  3. Heather Ann ThompsonBlood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy 
  4. Arlie Russell HochschildStrangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right 
  5. Andrew J. Bacevich, America’s War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History OR Viet Thanh Nguyen, Nothing Ever Dies: Vietnam and the Memory of War 

No comments:

Post a Comment